Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why Mildred Could Be Replaced With A Crash Test Dummy

So, it is about time little kitten! After three hours of chasing me around the house and chewing on all of my fingers and toes, you are finally asleep on my lap and you are finally giving me some nice quiet relaxing time to do my blogs. What a relief! So, last month I read the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and it was a very very good book. Bradbury is a very descriptive writer who can bring out the emotions of a character in one of his books very well to make them seem like a person in real life. It is truly baffling. So, anyway, when I started reading this book last month, from the beginning, there was a character who puzzled me quite a bit. Usually when a character catches your attention at the beginning of a story, it is a main character, but this character really is not one of the more main characters. The one character that definitely puzzled me was Mildred, who is Montag’s wife. So, the author, Bradbury does not give the reader a pleasant introduction to the character of Mildred seeing how the first time she comes into the book, she is trying to kill herself. Another thing that caught me off guard with Mildred was not only the fact that she never thanks Montag for taking her to the hospital and saving her life, but she really never does anything throughout the book. I mean, in my opinion, the author, Ray Bradbury could have replaced Mildred with a crash test dummy and no one would notice the difference. In fact, that is what I am going to call this blog.I mean honestly! What does she do throughout the story that makes her look like an active human being? Absolutely nothing. First of all, she has no job. That’s a good start. And all she does all day is watch her three-walled television. Maybe she wanted to kill herself because there is no difference between her and my cat Max who weighs 25 pounds and does absolutely nothing all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment