Sunday, August 22, 2010

Type of Conflict Part Two

This is my second to last blog of the summer and I am pumped. Anyway I am actually going to start this blog early because I have a lot to talk about in this one. For those of you who did not read my last blog, it was about the type of conflict within the book The Old Man and the Sea. I concluded that it was man versus nature because the main conflict in my opinion was between the man and the sea. Believe it or not, this book actually had more than one type of conflict. Besides the type of conflict that we call man versus nature, there is another conflict that would be considered man versus himself. This conflict becomes known to the reader when the old man catches the marlin on the line. The battle between the old man and the marlin lasts three days but somewhere along the line there had to be an internal battle with the old man. I mean imagine that you are trying to catch one fish for three days. It task itself would be extremely tiring and you would think about giving up constantly. This is what we would cal an internal conflict. I am sure that when the old man was trying to catch the fish that he was thinking about giving up sometime. I mean, after a while, there is no way that you would not be extremely tired after the fish was fighting for so long. The man had to think about giving up sometime. There is also another internal conflict in the book. This conflict takes place when the other fishermen are making fun of the old man for not being able to catch a good fish. I am sure that there was a point where the old man just simply wanted to give up fishing to save himself from the humiliation. This is another example of an internal conflict taking place inside of the old man’s head.

No comments:

Post a Comment